Within the next month, a small, two-way communication device will be installed on the existing natural gas meter at your home or business. The device will collect natural gas usage information and securely send it to Nicor Gas.
Preparing for the installation process:
• If we can safely access the natural gas meter, you do not need to be present for the installation.
• Installations will be completed by our qualified contractor Grid One Solutions, working on behalf of Nicor Gas. Grid One Solutions will have appropriate identification.
• The installation will take 10-15 minutes and there will be no interruption to your natural gas service during this process.
• Please ensure there is nothing blocking safe access to the meter, such as locked gates or doors, dogs or any other obstruction.
• If you have an indoor meter, or typically have to be present when a meter reader or other Nicor Gas employee accesses your meter, you will need to be present to allow the installer to access your meter. You will be contacted to set up an appointment at your convenience.
If you need special assistance, or have questions regarding the installation process, please call Grid One Solutions at 855.333.4347.
What is the Meter Modernization program?
The Meter Modernization program is one of several investments Nicor Gas is making to modernize and improve how we measure and collect customers’ natural gas usage, ensuring every customer’s energy needs are met safely and reliably now and well into the future.
How will the Meter Modernization program impact customers?
A small, two-way communication device will be installed on the existing natural gas meter at customers’ homes or businesses – meters will not be replaced. The communication device will collect natural gas-usage information and securely send it to Nicor Gas.
What do customers need to do during installation?
As long as the natural gas meter at your home or business can safely be accessed, you are not required to be present at the time of installation. There will be no interruption to your natural gas service during installation. Please make sure nothing is preventing safe access to the meter, such as locked gates or doors, dogs or any other obstruction.
What if meters are indoors?
If you normally have to be present when a meter reader accesses your natural gas meter, you will have to be present when the device is installed to allow access to the meter. If needed, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
How will customers benefit from the Meter Modernization program?
Automated meter reads will provide the most consistent access to natural gas usage information and help to eliminate the need for estimated bills. The resulting data analytics and information from automated meter reads will give customers more visibility and control over their energy usage.
How does the two-way communication device work?
Through state-of-the-art technology, the device will transmit gas-usage information using secure licensed radio frequency ranges. The energy produced by the two-way communication devices is comparable to that produced by cellular phones, television broadcasts, garage door openers, microwave ovens and Wi-Fi networks.
Is customer natural gas consumption information secure on the two-way communication devices?
Yes, Nicor Gas utilizes a private communication network to protect natural gas consumption information. This frequency is not shared with other utilities and only transmits data over frequency ranges that fully comply with current Federal Communications Commission requirements.