Phew – it’s hot! With the sweltering heat and hotter temperatures, consider reducing your energy consumption is critical.
Here are some tips to battle the weather and stay cool.
- Avoid using appliances during the day (like oven, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer)
- Only do full loads of laundry and dishes. Consider using cool settings.
- Keep shades and curtains drawn
- Take short, cool showers
- Turn off all unnecessary electronics
- Use all window coverings.
- Monitor the thermostat and household temperatures and raise your thermostat to 78 degrees F or higher. (each degree of extra cooling will increase energy usage 6%-8%)
- Programmable thermostats can save a household about $100 per year.
- Consider turning your HVAC system off when you are not at home.
- Clear all ducts and vents to maximize cool air.
- Close doors of rooms that are not in use.
- Change your HVAC filters regularly.
- Your ceiling fans should run counterclockwise to help circulate cool air.